The U.S. Bank OC Marathon is pleased to announce that on Saturday, May 2, over 6,000 children from 92 schools and agencies in 18 local Orange County School Districts will participate in the annual Kids Run the OC (KROC) presented by Nutrilite™. The 1-mile course takes kids on a portion of the OC Marathon route through the OC Fair and Event Center in Costa Mesa, Ca.
KROC is an exciting training program provided by the OC Marathon Foundation designed to help children in Orange County become more physically fit through the encouragement of healthy habits to combat the onset of childhood obesity. KROC certified coaches lead children through dynamic games to improve speed, agility, flexibility, and hand/eye coordination. Over the course of 10 – 12 weeks, students at participating schools will accumulate over 25-miles of exercise through the training program and will be prepared to finish a kids “marathon” by completing their final mile at the Kids Run the OC on Saturday, May 2, during the U.S. Bank OC Marathon event weekend.
The importance of KROC cannot be overstated as studies from the Orange County Department of Education show that only 38.7% of local 5th graders passed the 2013 State Fitness Test, affirming that children need accessible options for physical fitness. The KROC fitness program promotes active living through volunteer-based coaching that occurs before, during, or after school. The OC Marathon Foundation’s KROC program provides thorough training and materials for coaches as well as a mentoring program from existing coaches to ensure success at schools new to the program.
In 2014, KROC attracted more than 5,500 participants from over 80 schools and agencies in 17 Orange County school districts making it one of the largest youth events of its kind in the country. Now in 2015 the program continues to grow significantly with over 6,200 participants registered. Nutrilite™ is proud to be the presenting partner for KROC and promote The Nutrilite™ Power of 5 Campaign which is designed to build awareness of childhood malnutrition, address the critical need for proper nutrition during the first five years of life and offer a way that everyone can help.
Mother’s Market & Kitchen is also a proud supporter of the Kids Run the OC and is committed to supporting children’s health and wellness in the Orange County community and beyond.
Kids Run the OC – Statistics
- 90% of public elementary schools in OC don’t have organized P.E. activities
- 12 million calories burned based on 6,200 kids running the equivalent of 26.2 miles
- KROC is at 92 schools with 6,200 children registered for “Final Mile”
- An additional 5,000 Orange County children are using the KROC program in their schools
- 30,000 KROC participants since 2004 (year of inception)
- Over 150 teachers, principals and/or volunteer coaches participated in KROC coaches training in 2015
- More than 750,000 miles logged by KROC runners since the program began in 2004
- 50% of OC kids in public schools live in poverty; 40% of low income kids are obese
- Obese kids are the #1 target of bullies; 1 in 3 low income girls are diabetic by age 30
For more information visit www.kidsruntheoc.org.
KIDS RUN THE OC 2015 Heat Times:
- 8:30 a.m. – Open Heat
- 9 a.m. – 11 & up
- 9:30 a.m. – 10 years old
- 10 a.m. – 9 years old
- 10:30 a.m. – 8 years old
- 11 a.m. – 7 years old
- 11:30 a.m. – 6 & under